Friday, April 16, 2010

Southern love

Current favorite house:


It is the home of designer Ty Larkins in Louisiana.  House Beautiful did an article on getting a new twist on Traditional design.  I think I loved every picture featured in the article.  Someday, when I win the lottery (tomorrow?  I did buy the tickets!!), I'm going to own a gorgeous traditional house like this in Minneapolis (as a matter of fact, I already have the house picked out...), and hire Larkins to come and design it.  I really appreciate the fact that he's working with the history of his home, but updating it so that it reflects the new ideas of wealth and comfort and home.  For example, there is this picture of his kitchen:


In the article, he said that he designed this kitchen to be simple, like the staff kitchens of early-20th-century Southern mansions; "generous in size, but always very simple."  That's a perfect description of this room, and I really appreciated the fact that he didn't want to make it into the kind of sleek, modern kitchen that you see in a lot of the older mansions that someone updated.  He worked with what the room and the history of the place had to offer, but he made it updated.

This is probably my favorite room in the house:


I love the masculine feel of this library.  It is exactly how I think a library or study should look in an older home.  With one exception - I would have figured out a way to add in heavy velvet drapes to give the room that smoky, manly feel.  It's the kind of place that makes you long for a rainy Saturday alone, so that you can just sink into the couch and sit with your nose in a book all day.

I'm going to be printing out this whole article, and pasting it into my "WANT" book.

No comments:

Post a Comment