Sunday, July 25, 2010

Paint! It's not just for sniffin'

So, I've been doing some thinking lately.  I've been thinking that I'm ready to finally take on the challenges of sanding down and painting a lot of things.  Like, a LOT of things.  Such as my Nana's dresser that I'm planning on transforming into a sideboard in the dining room.  And FINALLY finishing painting the oh-so-70s side table-slash-magazine holder of Nana's and putting it to use in the living room.  I've also decided (just today, as a matter of fact...) that I'm going to paint this coffee table that I've had since...my Junior year of college (!!!) a blazing white to go with the black and white thing I'm going with for the living/dining rooms.  I don't even take the care to wipe the water off that thing when I water the small jungle that lives on it.  It's just that ugly.  So ugly that a few water stains might improve the look.  Ouch, table.  I'm hoping that a fresh coat of white will help encourage me to take ownership of that baby, and keep 'er looking good.  :)

The biggest and most challenging change of all?  Painting the trim.  Now, I have to be honest here.  I hate our trim.  I really do.  I both hate the color and the style of it.  It would take me $.99 a foot to buy new stuff.  BUT, Thrifty Husband doesn't want to buy it new ("What would we do with the old stuff???"  Ummmm...burn it?).  I truly think, actually, that he just wants to teach me a little lesson about how hard it is to sand down and paint some 2300 square feet of trim.  I get it.  Lesson learned well in advance.  But I truly hate golden oak.  And this place is coated in it.  From the kitchen cabinets to the trim to the wooden blinds.  But, baby, that's all going to change.  STAT.  One of the major selling points of this house was the fact that the original owners hadn't upgraded a thing - making it the perfect price for us to be able to put a little sweat equity into it by doing it ourselves.  Golden oak baseboards?  Consider yourself warned.

And world wide web audience (of two...), seat back and tray tables in their upright and locked position.  The renovation plane is taking off!!


Oh, and to anyone who might have their panties in a bunch over the blog title?  Cram it.  Jokes are for laughin'!

2 comments:

  1. Nice end comment. I was totally starting to bunch. It was not comfortable.

    ReplyDelete