Saturday, January 2, 2010

JUNK!

I'm a closet neat freak.

By that, I mean that, in my heart of hearts, I want to be a neat freak.  I want to have a place for everything, and everything in its place.  I want shelves and storage solutions and an ORGANIZED desk (both at home, and at work!).  No more "Where IS that remote??" or "I know I put the matches somewhere."  I want every drawer and shelf and cubby to have a REASON to be.  That's why one of my favorite areas to navigate to on sites like realsimple.com or apartmenttherapy.com have to do with closet organization.  Perusing the AT site today, I found a little article on the best of 2009 - Clever and Unusal Storage Solutions.

I'm in love!!!

Below is a smattering of pictures from this article that are really great.



I LOVE this concept.  Purple is probably a little too radical for me, but I love the usefulness of shelves, but with the uniqueness of all the different desks and tables.  I think it's very clever.  It doesn't fit into the current home design, but maybe I'll figure out a way to fit it into the next house (whenever that comes along...).



I LOVE this idea!  There was a bed at Ikea (Malm collection) that had side tables/shelves that tucked into the headboard to create a clean, modern look but still give you the convenience of bedside tables.  There was a different bed (I can't recall the collection) that had storage in the boxy frame (much like in the picture above, but on a smaller, bed-sized scale).  My ingenuitive husband wants to combine the two concepts, and build a bed for us.  I wonder what the liklihood of convincing him to make the bed similar to this one is?



Such a clever small-space idea.  Especially if you're a traveler, and your house is filled with your little travel artifacts and collections.  I imagine it on a wall papered with old maps and location-specific travel maps - maybe even just one huge map on corkboard, with pins stuck in to show where your travels have lead you.  It's odd, but when I imagine what this wall would look like, I see it in the eat-in kitchen of our last apartment.  Probably because that WAS a small space!  This might also be fun in a basement bar area with a British or Irish pub feel.

On a related note, I discovered a little website called easyclosets.com (thanks again, AT site!!) that I think I'm going to use to plan out my ideal closet for our bedroom.  I'm so thrilled.  Closet organization is something that has always been lacking in our household, and now I'm going to make it happen.  I would rather have an organized closet than a new dining room set or even than new kitchen countertops.  Hopefully, I'll have a plan to post sometime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment